How do we learn love? How do we learn how to be in a relationship or what to expect of a relationship?
Think about it, you are not born knowing how to date, but you kind of sort it out from your family, the movies you watch, the books you read, TV-shows and even strangers around you. We observe all of this and learn “Oh, so that’s how it is! That’s how it’s done!”
Most of this love we see in films and the media in general is what is called Romantic Love.
But how does it work?
While healthy relationships can be really supportive it is key to love ourselves first.
TOP 5 MYTHS ABOUT ROMANTIC LOVE:
- THE BETTER HALF: There is only one person who is destined to be your partner. You just need to find each other. The rest will simply happen. And if you are not with that person you are not complete.
- LOVE HURTS: Love means suffering and sacrifice. Despite the intensity of the conflicts between the couple, love will prevail, & you should do whatever it takes to make it work.
- JEALOUSY IS A SIGN OF LOVE: If you are jealous, that only shows how much you care about your partner and if you are not jealous that means you don’t care enough.
- LOVE IS FOREVER: The belief that once we have found true love it is forever and we have to stay in the relationship no matter what.
- REAL LOVE MUST BE SHARED (ONLINE): If you are really in love, you should share that love with everyone. If a relationship is good it must be shown on social media. “If its not posted it doesn’t exist”.